SQL Server 2005 Service Packs

Last night I installed Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006 R2.

Though, during the configuration process of BizTalk, I was prompt that SQL Server 2005 Service Packs were not detected.

At that time I though to myself; how do I find if any, and which Service Pack is installed for SQL Server?

By reading the Microsoft Help and Support Article on the following link I solved my question:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185

In the article I found that I just had to execute the following query in my SQL Server Instance:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

The first column presents the product version for SQL Server, the second presents the product level (i.e. RTM, SP1, SP2, etc) and the third column presents the edition of the installed SQL Server (i.e. Developer Edition).

The product level column was empty :) To this end I directly proceeded with installing SP2 and continued with the configuration of BizTalk Server.

Anyhow, Service Pack 3 for SQL Server 2005 was released on December 15th 2008 so I guess I have to install this as well! :)

On the following link you can find information on how to obtain the latest Service Pack for SQL Server 2005:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913089

Labels: ,