The Windows Internal Database is used by Active Directory, WSS, WSUS and other Windows Server services as their data storage. Some of its main characteristics are:
- It cannot be used as a regular SQL Server instance as it is intended to be only used by Windows Services/Programs.
- It cannot be removed by using the "Add or Remove Programs" tool because it does not appear in the list of currently installed programs (more info here). Note that it is not recommended to uninstall SSEE as it might affect the operation of Windows Services that use it.
- It only supports Windows Authentication.
- You can only connect to the instance using Named Pipes.
Fist of all you will need to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Management Studio (link).
Then you will need to use the following connection properties:
- Server Type: Database Engine
- Server Name: \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query
- Authentication: Windows Authentication
Read more on this article...